WatchGuard – WebBlocker Server version 1.0 Available for Fireware 12.2
WatchGuard is pleased to announce the release of a new standalone WebBlocker Server that replaces and upgrades the functionality previously provided in the legacy SurfControl service. The WebBlocker Server hosted on-premises now provides the same equivalent URL categories and database as the cloud hosted server which WatchGuard customers have been using since 2013.
The WebBlocker Server is available for VMware (v. 5.x.+) and Hyper-V (for Microsoft Windows 2008 R2, 2012, or 2012 R2 64-bit) and can be downloaded by customers with a WebBlocker subscription now, August 28, 2018.
WatchGuard customers who use on-premises URL filtering today now have three options:
- Upgrade to Fireware 12.2 or later and use the WebBlocker cloud service for URL filtering
- Upgrade to Fireware 12.2 or later and use WebBlocker Server, which is now available to download at software.watchguard.com
- Remain on current version of Fireware 12.1.x (or earlier) and leverage existing WebBlocker cloud service for URL filtering
WatchGuard is also announcing that the legacy SurfControl service will reach end of life on November 30, 2018. All URL lookups conducted against the SurfControl service after this date will return “uncategorized”. Customers can choose from one of the three migration options listed above.
Note: XTM customers will not be able to upgrade to Fireware 12.2, but can still use Fireware 12.1.x or earlier.
After the Fireware 12.2 release, support for these new features will be as follows:
- On-premises WebBlocker Server will not be compatible with previous versions of Fireware 12.1.x
- WSM 12.2 will not be capable of managing SurfControl settings on devices that run 12.1.x or lower
This offering for a virtual WebBlocker server helps to serve customer environments where regulatory compliance or even ISP constraints inhibit the web connections that allow WebBlocker URL filtering to function as designed through the WatchGuard UTM.
How can I get started?
Qualifying Firebox M-series and T-series appliances with active Basic Security or Total Security Subscriptions can obtain this update without additional charge by downloading the applicable packages from the WatchGuard Software Download Center.