Advisory: Multiple Vulnerabilities (AKA 21Nails) in Exim
On May 4, 2021, Qualys released a security advisory disclosing multiple CVEs for the Exim mailer software, a widely used open-source message transfer agent (MTA). These vulnerabilities can be triggered by local and remote attackers, and have been fixed in Exim version 4.94.2. If exploited, these vulnerabilities may lead to remote code execution (RCE).
Sophos Firewall customers not licensed for email protection, and those using legacy mode (transparent email proxy) for email, are not vulnerable.
SG UTM customers not using email protection are not vulnerable.
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
- Sophos Firewall
- Sophos SG UTM
- Sophos Firewall
- A hotfix for SFOS v18.5 and 18.0 was distributed and applied on May 7, 2021
- A hotfix for SFOS v17.5 will be available by May 14, 2021
- SG UTM
- An update to SG UTM v9.705 will be available by May 14, 2021
- Sophos always recommends that customers upgrade to the latest available version of Sophos Firewall and SG UTM
Sophos Firewall customers can switch to legacy mode under Email → General settings → SMTP deployment mode → Switch to legacy mode. Be aware that certain deployment scenarios are not compatible with legacy mode.
Other Mitigation Options
The network security team at SophosLabs have released the following IPS signatures to Sophos Firewall devices in response to Exim disclosures:
|XG SFOS IPS Signature||SID:2305451||CVE-2020-28021|
|XG SFOS IPS Signature||SID:2305452||CVE-2020-28026|
|XG SFOS IPS Signature||SID:2305453||CVE-2020-28026|
|XG SFOS IPS Signature||SID:2305454||CVE-2020-28025|
|XG SFOS IPS Signature||SID:2305459||CVE-2020-28019|
|XG SFOS IPS Signature||SID:2305460||CVE-2020-28019|
Note that IPS does not filter traffic destined for the firewall itself.
Do I have the hotfix applied?
When the hotfix has been applied to Sophos Firewall, customers will see an alert in their dashboard with the text “Exim version upgraded to v4.94.2.“
- IPS signature information added for Sophos Firewall
- Hotfix notification information added
- Hotfixes for SFOS v18.x have been released