Dell SonicWALL Improves Mobile Security with SMA 100 Series 8.5 OS Update
The proliferation of devices in the workplace, both employer-issued and personally owned, has increased the demand on organizations to enable secure mobile access to company applications, data and resources. Often, remote and mobile workers use the same device for both business and personal use, resulting in the intermingling of business and personal data and applications.
Dell SonicWALL’s Secure Mobile Access (SMA) portfolio provides mobile and remote workers using smart phones, tablets or laptops (managed and unmanaged) with policy-enforced SSL VPN access to mission-critical applications, data and resources without compromising security.
SMA is compatible with all major OS devices, such as Windows, iOS, Mac OSX, Android, Linux, Kindle Fire and Chrome. Users receive secure access to all network resources, including shared folders, client-server applications, intranet sites, email, and remote and virtual desktop services. It also enables user administrators to configure security policies that provide best-in-class, context-aware authentication which grants access only to trusted devices and authorized users.
In Dell SonicWALL’s ongoing enhancements to its network security offerings, the following key functionality additions have been integrated across the SonicWALL SMA 100 series with the OS version 8.5:
- HTML5 enhancements – Provides end users with a rich access experience within their choice of web browser, and eliminates the need to download, install and maintain additional software on their systems. End users can run everything within their browser window, easily make connections to resources and experience zero-day support for all major operating systems and browsers.
- Policy wizards – Employs easy-to-use wizards to help deploy policies for OWA, ActiveSync, Outlook Anywhere and Auto-discover. This saves time for IT administrators with commonly created policies, helps increase their productivity and lowers the TCO.
- Virtual host multicore support – Delivers greater reliability and performance at higher concurrencies of connected users by increasing resource capacity of host resources. With this additional capacity, the concurrent user maximum grows from 50 to 250. (Also, the SRA SMB Virtual Appliance solution is now known as SMA 500v.)
In addition, the following key functionality improvements were added across the SMA 100 line over the last two updates to the SonicWALL SMA 100 series OS:
- Web application firewall (WAF) enhancements – Helps secure internal web applications from remote users, as SonicWALL’s award-winning WAF engine can now detect additional exploits and threats. This allows customers to ensure the confidentiality of their data – and keep their internal web services uncompromised – if malicious or rogue authenticated user access occurs.
- Geo IP detection and botnet protection – Enables customers with a mechanism to allow or restrict user access from various geographical locations. Also provides additional protection from compromised endpoints participating in a botnet, which further verifies the validity of the connecting device.
- End point control (EPC) enhancements – Offers greater assurance that endpoints accessing a network are secure through multiple improvements to the SMA EPC engine.